The young people of Africa are the future of our continent . The youth are the building blocks for ensuring a sustainable and successful foundation is build for the future generations . Africa needs to ensure we create an environment which channels the energy and passion our youth have into creating a thriving SMME sector which in turn creates jobs and employment on the continent.
Our youth needs to understand that a lack of formal jobs on the continent does not mean unemployment . Our governents and corporate cannot create enough jobs for a ever growing population. Youth need to be encouraged to start their own businesses and create jobs for the community around them. Young people need to understand how critical and valued becoming an entrepreneurs is.
Zhauns Business Opportunities has always been a passionate supporter in building an environment which support youth and encourages them to take calculated risks and not be scared to back themselves . Our youth should be taught that failure is part of pushing the boundires and if you are not occasionally failing in life – then you are not trying hard enough.
One country in Africa who has always understood the importance of entrepreneurship is Botswana. Botswana has made poverty eradication and youth development a top priority to ensure they are a country building a better future for their people. Botswana’s GDP expanded by 12.5% in 2021 . A clear sign this is a country on the move! It has long been known to be one of Africa’s fastest growing economies.
Youth Development is a very important part of ensuring longevity and sustainable growth and Botswana clearly understands the importance of this. This is where Botswana’s Youth Development Fund comes in.
What is the Youth Development Fund?
Youth Development Fund (YDF) is a socio-economic programme for start-ups and expanding businesses. YDF was introduced in the financial year 2009/10 as an economic empowerment programme meant to assist aspiring youth to venture into various economic enterprises funded at 50% loan & 50% grant. MYSC works in collaboration with other stakeholders such as Local Enterprise Authority to build the spirit of entrepreneurship and other government ministries and parastatals who offer technical support. YDF aims to achieve the following:
- Promote active participation of youth in the socio-economic development of the country.
- Encourage the out of school, marginalized, unemployed and underemployed youth to venture into sustainable and viable income generating projects.
- Promote the development of competitive, sustainable and growth-oriented citizen owned youth enterprises.
- Reduce rural-urban migration by making it attractive to start growth-oriented enterprises in rural areas.
- Create sustainable employment opportunities for young people through the development of sustainable projects.
Who is eligible?
- Botswana citizens aged 18-35 years
- Out-of-school youth
- Unemployed youth
- Underemployed youth earning less than P2 500/month
- Youth cooperatives comprising of 5-10 members
- Existing youth businesses: self-funded and funded through other government schemes such as LIMID, Poverty Eradication, Out of school youth grant whose businesses have operated for 6 months and above
So, for those young people of Botswana who are not eligible, or are looking for other ways to get funding and find business opportunities – Zhaun’s has the expertise to provide advice and a world of small business opportunities for the youth to be able to build a career and grow a small business into something sustainable for their financial future.
Contact us today to find out what opportunities await.